About us What we do Our history Trinity has a fascinating history that dates back to 1891 when we were founded thanks to the generosity and foresight of the Hoare banking family. Here's a snapshot of key moments in our 125 year history. 2016 The Duchess of Cornwall visits the hospice to officially mark the beginning of our 125th year. Trinity launches its 125 anniversary to campaign to open a new Royal Trinity Centre north of the river. 2015 Trinity granted Royal Trinity Hospice name by Cabinet Office reflecting the long patronage and association with the royal family. Building, No 29, "The Elms" is converted into six flats providing valuable income for the hospice. 2014 HRH The Duchess of Cornwall made a private visit to see staff and patients 2011 Trinity celebrated its 120th anniversary. Mulberry Place opened. 2009 A landmark in Trinity’s history was reached when our new 28-bed, purpose-built Inpatient Centre opened its doors. 2007 Our royal patron, HRH The Duchess of Cornwall visited. 1991 Trinity celebrated its centenary. The Duchess of York visited. 1987 At the forefront of good practice, Trinity established education services throughout the 80s and opened a day centre. 1981 The Queen Mother, our royal patron for a remarkable 76 years, planted a copper beech that continues to give pleasure today. 1978 -1980 The first major refurbishment included restoration of our two-acre gardens. In 1980 Trinity Hospice took on its current name and appointed a full-time medical director. 1977 Trinity’s Council, in place since the 1900s, took over management and ran the hospice as a secular, independent establishment. 1951 HRH Princess Alice laid the foundation stone for St Michael’s Ward. 1933 – 1946 Records show that in 1933, the hospice was “in constant occupation”. It was evacuated to Lindfield during World War II and returned to Clapham in 1946. 1899 – 1907 29 Clapham Common Northside was purchased in 1899 and number 30 in 1907; we occupy the same buildings today. 1892 – 1896 Patients were cared for by the Sisters of St James’ Servants of the Poor at the Chase in Clapham. In 1896 The Sisters of St Margaret’s of East Grinstead took over. 1891 The Hostel of God, later to be known as Trinity Hospice, was founded. We have Colonel William Hoare of the famous banking family to thank for this act of foresight. He gave £1,000 of the £2,000 needed and raised the remainder from an appeal in the Times newspaper on Christmas day to provide a home “for the man who is neither curable nor incurable but simply dying”.